At my 20 week anatomy scan 19 weeks ago we discovered this baby is breech. I’ve had it stuck in my mind that she wouldn’t flip on her own the entire time, call it mothers intuition. I tried everything I knew of throughout the pregnancy including the recommended techniques by spinning babies. I was facing quite the dilemma. Weeks went by, people continued to tell me that she’d flip on her own, and before everybody knew it I was 37 weeks, full term, and baby was still standing upright.
At my 37 week appointment I mentioned to the midwife that the baby was breech, which apparently had been left out of all of the paperwork and “nobody knew.” Not cool, since I had been mentioning it at every appointment to each new midwife I saw only to hear the usual unhelpful response of, “she’ll move on her own.” This midwife thankfully grabbed a doctor who gave me a list of my options. He informed me that there were three options total: 1. Deliver the breech baby vaginally, which he strongly discouraged; 2. Schedule a c-section; or 3. Schedule an external cephalic version, or ECV, which was what he recommended. I was aware of the options but appreciated the personal input he had to give simply because I knew it was something normal for him to experience since he was, in fact, an OB. We scheduled the ECV for 3 days later, about half way through my 37th week of pregnancy for 8 in the morning.
That morning we were to be expected in the Labor and Delivery ward at 6 am, so I woke up at 4:30, showered, got Elizabeth ready, brought her to a friend’s house, then showed up at the hospital. I opted for a spinal simply because recent studies have proven that the ECV with some form of anesthesia will be more successful than an ECV without, and about 30% more successful at that. (source) An additional benefit of opting for the spinal is that if the ECV goes wrong and an emergency c-section is necessary, general anesthesia isn’t needed, and no time is wasted.
For the “no time is wasted” reason, the doctors fully prepped me for a c-section, it really was quite unsettling. They had me in the Labor and Delivery OR and went as far as to use iodine on my stomach, which for some reason really did surprise me. However, the ECV lasted literally less than 2 minutes and was successful. The doctor was very good to say the least.
I had my 38 week check up 5 days later where they confirmed baby has stayed head down, yay! Now we just wait until labor begins when they’ll confirm one last time that the baby is head down, but I am SO happy this baby is finally in the right position.
Keep us in your thoughts and please will this baby to stay head down and come when she’s ready, healthy and happy! ❤